Identify your needs
As a new expat in Jakarta, finding the right employee can be quite intimidating. After all hiring a nanny or a housekeeper means letting a stranger into your home. But don’t panic, there are amazing people out there waiting to connect with your family.
To find the best possible match, it’s important to have a clear sense of what your family’s needs are. From there, you’ll be able to prioritize the skills that are most important and communicate them throughout the recruitment process.
Here are some questions you may ask yourself:
- Are you looking for a nanny? A housekeeper? An all-rounder?
- How autonomous do you expect them to be?
- Are you looking for an extra pair of hands or for someone who will actively raise your child and be part of your family?
- What will be the working hours and days?
- Do you expect them to live with you? (note that most skilled workers such as experienced expat nannies or cook prefer live-out position).
- Will they need to travel with you?
Each family has unique needs, here and here you can read from two expat families in Jakarta on their experience with nannies.
Hire for personality, teach for skills
Finding someone who ticks all your boxes may prove challenging. Instead, try to prioritize the one or two skills that are essential to your family. Most hard skills can be taught, but ultimately personality and attitude will determine whether a worker will fit well into your family.
Are you looking for a skilled professional who will be able to work independently from day 1? Or are you opened to teaching and closely supervising someone with less experience? Do you want to hire a nanny who has previously worked for other expat families or can speak English?
Making sure the employment terms are aligned with the responsibilities and requirements of the job is essential. Here we share the typical salary ranges and benefits from the placements we have made for expat families in Jakarta.